Company: Northwind Group
Posted on: May 28, 2023
THIS POSITION IS SHORT TERM, MAX 1000 HOURS IN A CALENDAR
North Wind Services, is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. NWS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customer's mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy. Successful candidates will be employees of NWS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by NWS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by NWS.
The Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) within the Engineering (ENG) Directorate has an opening for an Electrical Engineer to participate in new and ongoing projects in the area of National Defense. The successful candidate will have technical responsibility for a range of duties including design, development, fabrication, integration, testing and fielding of both analog and digital electrical systems.
This position may require the employee to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and/or weekends to accomplish goals. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.3
- Develop conceptual designs of electrical systems, test prototypes, and associated diagnostics.
- Provide engineering solutions to a variety of projects in one or more of the following technical areas: analog and digital circuit design, process control systems, pulsed power and electromagnetics, diagnostics and sensor development, electro-optic systems, data acquisition systems and tester development, and facility electrical equipment and infrastructure.
- Contribute to the detailed design process, component part fabrication, and unit assembly.
- Generate detailed plans, schedules, and budgets for project activities.
- Learn and support NNSA, institutional, and other quality assurance requirements and processes for state-of-health surveillance of the nuclear stockpile.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results, and write reports.
- Interface with other organizations internal and external to the Laboratory to complete various LLNL projects.
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H, security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Test prototypes and associated diagnostics.
- Work independently and with teams to solve moderately complex problems that require analysis and creative use of established techniques and methods
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge of electrical engineering concepts related to design, assembly, calibration, and testing of analog and digital electrical systems.
- Knowledge of one or more of the following: process control systems, microcontroller hardware and software, programmable logic controller (PLC) coding, LabVIEW programming, analog design, electro-optics systems, capacitive discharge units (CDUs), telemetry systems, casting technologies, furnace operations, inductive power supplies, and the National Electric Code (NEC).
- Experience with sensor integration, calibration, and signal analysis techniques.
- Knowledge of SPICE or similar circuit simulation software.
- Experience following structured operating procedures.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively as part of a multidisciplinary team.
- Sufficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to interact with a multidisciplinary research team, author technical and scientific reports and papers, document analyses, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Experience in reading and interpreting mechanical, optical, and electrical specifications using drawings, datasheets, and procedure manuals.
- Experience in conducting experiments of electrical configuration and settings, and the advanced application of timing and data acquisition systems and comprehensive knowledge of conceptual designs of electrical systems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and explain technical information.
Desired Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Knowledge of digital logic design using field-programmable gate arrays (FPGAs) in VHSIC Hardware Description Language (VHDL).
- Knowledge of electro-static discharge (ESD) controls and protection.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
North Wind offers a competitive pay and benefits package to include health, life, and disability insurance benefits, 401(k) with company match, generous paid leave, and tuition reimbursement for eligible employees. As a company, we are committed to employee wellness, professional development, and work-life balance. We value safety, reliability, and commitment to our people! For more information about our benefits or hiring philosophy, visit the North Wind Career Opportunities Page.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The nature of those accommodations will be determined on a case-by-case basis. If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact our Helpline 1-208-528-8714 for assistance.
North Wind is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and welcomes all qualified applicants. Applicants will receive fair and impartial consideration without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic data, religion or other legally protected status. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their protected veteran status and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability
THIS POSITION IS SHORT TERM, MAX 1000 HOURS IN A CALENDAR
Keywords: Northwind Group, Livermore , Electrical Engineer, Professions , Livermore, California
here to apply!