Engineer II, Vehicle Controls (Electrical)
Posted on: August 1, 2022
GILLIG LLC is the largest and most dependable manufacturer of
Heavy-Duty Transit Buses in North America. Our customers are in all
50 states, and include cities, counties, transit districts,
universities and major private fleet operators. We are
headquartered in Livermore, CA.
GILLIG offers an excellent compensation and benefits package
including 100% company-paid premiums for medical, dental and vision
for employees and their families. Other benefits include a unique
401k profit-sharing plan.
The Vehicle Controls Engineer II will be responsible for the
development of the body controller algorithms for all of the GILLIG
vehicles including the first in class zero emission bus. You will
be challenged to develop unique solutions for various control
problems from multiple domains including electrical, mechanical,
and thermal. Assignments are broad in scope and highly complex that
require outstanding creativity, superior initiative, good
judgement, and leadership skill. This is a hands-on position.
- Body Control System
- Low Voltage Sensors and Actuators
- Vehicle Onboard Monitoring Systems
- Vehicle Distributed Control Systems
- Vehicle Control Communications Protocols
- Collaborate with cross functional teams to develop customized
algorithms for various components and sub-systems on the bus
- Develop functional requirements for the body controller,
communication interfaces, diagnostics and fault detection for new
- Participate in DFMEA to identify technical risks and adjust the
controls logic in order to improve detection and reduce potential
failures of the design
- Bring up the prototype buses. This requires hands-on
troubleshooting, testing, and data collecting to solve complex
- Work with Validation team to develop test plans to ensure the
design meet the program requirements
- Work with Publication team to ensure the bus manuals complete
and accurately reflect the designs
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering plus a minimum of 3 years of
progressive engineering experience in vehicle controls
- Ability to diagnose and troubleshoot automotive electrical
- Comfortable working around low voltage and high voltage
- Experienced with:
- Ladder logic controls such as Allen-Bradley or Siemens PLC
- Software development using C/C++ or model development
- Diagnosis and troubleshooting electrical systems using tool
such as function generator, multimeter, oscilloscope, etc.
- Opened and closed loop control systems for sensors, actuators,
body controller, ECUs, etc.
- Familiarity with:
- Manufacturing processes and environment
- Heavy-Duty vehicle
- CAN-Bus, LIN, and Ethernet communication protocol
- J1939/CAN tools such as CANalyzer, P-CAN, Kvaser, CANoe,
- MATLAB, Simulink, and State flowchart
- 8D, five whys, and fishbone process to diagnose complex
- Low voltage components such as circuit breakers, relays, and
- High voltage components such as DCDC, motor and inverter, Li
battery, and high-power charger, etc.
- Safety interlock loop
- Industry standards such as FMVSSS, NHTSA, DOT, NFPA, SAE, NEC,
About The Environment
- Ability to lift up to 25 lbs.
- Regularly required to sit, stand, and walk; occasionally kneel
- Limited domestic travel
- Typical start time 6:00AM (Negotiable)
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to
work in the United States. However, we are not able to sponsor work
visa's now or in the future.
After 130 years, GILLIG holds strong to its family values and focus
on its employees and customers. Our motivated and dedicated
employees have a passion for quality and customer satisfaction. We
are committed to building buses that connect communities, eliminate
congestion, and contribute to a greener environment. Our Company
pride is exemplified by the thoughtful design and quality
craftsmanship present in every GILLIG bus. GILLIG's steadfast focus
on quality and unwavering commitment to exceptional customer
service sets us apart from our competition.
In compliance with the Drug-Free Workplace Act of 1988, GILLIG has
a longstanding commitment to provide a safe, quality-oriented and
productive work environment consistent with the standards in which
the company operates. Drug abuse poses a threat to the health and
safety of GILLIG employees and to the security of the company's
equipment and facilities. For these reasons, GILLIG is committed to
the elimination of drug and alcohol use and abuse in the workplace.
All applicants must pass a drug test before beginning work.
GILLIG is an equal employment opportunity and affirmative action
Keywords: GILLIG, Livermore , Engineer II, Vehicle Controls (Electrical), Professions , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!