Polymer R&D - Research Scientist
Company: AMERICAN VACUUM SOCIETY INC
Posted on: May 17, 2023
We have an opening for a Polymer R&D Scientist to conduct
research in the following areas: I) research and development of
new/modified engineering elastomers and elastomer resins, including
materials for production by additive manufacturing (AM); II)
research into the influence of age, environment, and manufacturing
process conditions on the chemical structure and physical
properties of engineering polymer materials. This position is in
the Materials Science Division. This position will be filled at
either the SES.3 or SES.4 level based on knowledge and related
experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job
responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the
higher level. In this role you will
- Contribute to the research and development of new and/or
modified applied polymer materials with a focus on rubbery
elastomers, including development of candidate feedstocks for
additive manufacturing of engineering elastomers. Example additive
manufacturing methods to be supported may include direct-ink-write,
fused-deposition modeling, selective laser sintering, or
- Characterize the chemical changes and degradations to
engineering polymer materials, especially silicones, resulting from
age, environment, and manufacturing process conditions.
- Collaborate on accelerated aging and lifetime prediction
studies of engineering polymer materials.
- Serve as a primary technical point of contact for polymer
material formulation, synthesis and processing for engineering
- Conceive, design, and execute research to address defined
problems and applications.
- Develop and present written analyses, verbal briefings, and
other products that capture and communicate research results as
well as periodic progress reports.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team
environment to accomplish program goals.
- Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals,
and present results within the DOE community and at open
- Perform other duties as assigned. Additional job
responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Independently develop or lead development of new materials
and/or feedstocks for additive manufacturing of engineering polymer
- Serve as a subject matter expert for the synthesis, processing,
and characterization of polymers for engineering applications.
- Serve as point of contact for accelerated aging and lifetime
prediction studies of engineering polymer materials.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security
clearance, which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- PhD in Polymer Science, Polymer Engineering, Materials Science,
Materials Engineering, Chemistry, or related field, or the
equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge of the synthesis of polymer resins, in
particular elastomer and thermoplastic elastomer resins, for
engineering applications (e.g. silicones, nitriles, TPU).
- Advanced knowledge of polymer resin characterization, including
chemical composition and molecular weight distribution
- Experience with mechanical (and/or rheological) and structural
characterization of both resin and polymer material properties,
using, for example, techniques such as DMA, rotational rheometry,
swelling, thermal analysis, and/or load frame testing.
- Proven ability as a creative experimentalist, and a diverse
range of experience in experimental design, techniques and
- Authorship of peer-reviewed literature demonstrating the
capacity to independently develop and execute original
- Advanced verbal and written communication as reflected by
effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching
- The willingness and ability to self-direct and work
independently, and to collaborate on multidisciplinary teams as
required to reach research goals. Additional qualifications at the
- Highly advanced knowledge of polymer characterization,
including, for example, monomer sequence distribution analysis in
copolymers, or analysis of measured mechanical/rheological
properties and their relationship to structure.
- Subject matter expertise in the processing and/or rheology of
filled (reinforced) polymer materials for engineering/industrial
- Consultative direction of scientific personnel and complex
projects. Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with polymer material additive manufacturing (AM),
including synthesis of AM feedstock materials and/or actual AM
- Experience with commercial gumstock and composite preparation
processes such as roll mixing, intensive shear mixing, and/or
Keywords: AMERICAN VACUUM SOCIETY INC, Livermore , Polymer R&D - Research Scientist, Other , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...