Senior Explosives Research Experiment Lead
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: January 18, 2023
Senior Explosives Research Experiment Lead Mid-Senior Level -
Physical Life Sciences - livermore, CA - 12/14/2022
Reference #: REF2971D
Job Code: SES.3 Science & Engineering MTS 3 / SES.4 Science &
Engineering MTS 4
Organization: Weapons and Complex Integ
Position Type: Career Indefinite
Security Clearance: Anticipated DOE Q clearance (requires U.S.
citizenship and a federal background investigation)
Drug Test: Required for external applicant(s) selected for this
position (includes testing for use of marijuana)
Medical Exam: A job-related pre-placement medical examination may
be required Apply Now Company DescriptionJoin us and make YOUR mark
on the World!Are you interested in joining some of the brightest
talent in the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come
join Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our
employees apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas
that make our world a better place.We are looking for individuals
that demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with
team peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an
inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging
problems.Pay Range$148,650 - $200,328 Annually for the SES.3 level
$178,410 - $240,384 Annually for the SES.4 levelPlease note that
the pay range information is a general guideline only. Many factors
are taken into consideration when setting starting pay including
education, experience, the external labor market, and internal
equity.Job DescriptionWe have an opening for an Senior Explosive
Experiment Fielding LeadWe have multiple openings for Explosives
Research Experiment Leads. You will lead experimental activities,
under limited direction, involving the use of high explosives and
other energetic materials, supporting the stewardship of the U.S.
nuclear stockpile, conventional weapons design, counterterrorism
efforts, and commercial partnerships. This position is in the
Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate. -This position
will be filled at either the SES.3 or SES.4 level depending on your
knowledge, skills and experience as assessed by the hiring team.
Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned
if you are selected at the higher level.In this role you will
- Plan, execute, diagnose, analyze, and interpret explosively
driven hydrodynamic experiments in collaboration with diagnostics
operators, other scientists and high-level technical personnel,
independently with minimal direction and at various
state-of-the-art facilities across the DOE weapons complex.
- Manage and oversee multiple parallel complex experiments at
different stages of development and execution. -
- Champion and/or lead original scientific/engineering projects
to further the design of hydrodynamic experiments, applying
knowledge and skills.
- Develop experimental requirements and oversee the
implementation of the various components of the experiment.
- Identify, advocate and facilitate the addition of advanced
diagnostics and data analysis techniques for explosively driven
hydrodynamic experiments. Work with diagnostic designers to develop
and integrate new capabilities. -
- Perform technical quality assurance checks on these experiments
including performing or directing others to perform the setup,
alignment, and execution of the confirmatory dry-runs to ensure
that the expected data returned on the ultimate experiment will be
of the highest quality possible within funding targets.
- Analyze and interpret complex experimental data, document and
report results, identify problems, plan projects to solve problems,
and communicate lessons learned.
- Present and disseminate research results to sponsors, and
document experiment and results in open and classified
- Promote and support plans to promote diversity, equity, and
inclusion within the program
- Travel minimally or substantially based on needs of
- Perform other duties as assigned.Additional job
responsibilities at the SES.4 level
- Independently develop expertise in interrelated fields of
physics, diagnostic techniques, or data analysis methods important
to the design and execution of hydrodynamic experiments.
- Anticipate project shortcomings in advance and direct resources
to develop effective solutions to improve efficiency in key areas
relevant to hydrodynamic experiments.
- Champion and/or lead projects requiring involvement of broader
scientific community external to LLNLQualifications
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security
clearance which requires U.S. citizenship
- Master's Degree in physics, engineering, a related field, or
equivalent combination of education and related experience
- Advanced knowledge of a specific area of science applicable to
- Experience performing hands-on experimental science in bench
top and/or test facility environments and familiarity with
experimentation requiring formal conduct of operations.
- Experience managing medium technical project
- Self-motivation and initiative in addressing challenging
problems, and innovative ability to identify/develop creative
- Significant experience completing and/or leading top-quality
research in relevant areas of physics and engineering.
- Ability to travel.
- Advanced interpersonal skills and emotional intelligence
necessary to work effectively with a wide range of personalities in
both one-on-one and team environments.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills necessary to
collaborate, present, and explain on experimental design including
proficiency in standard office computing software.
- Demonstrated ability/commitment to valuing diversity, equity,
and inclusion principles in the workplaceAdditional qualifications
at the SES.4 level
- PhD in physics, engineering, a related field, or equivalent
combination of education and related experience
- Subject matter expertise in one or more specific areas of
science applicable to hydrodynamic testing
- Significant experience leading a large, multi-organizational
- Ability to lead and mentor others in part of a
- Substantial experience presenting and disseminating highly
advanced research results at scientific conferences and
peer-reviewed publications, in open and classified environments,
internal and external to LLNL. Substantial experience communicating
results of work with external sponsors.Qualifications We Desire
- Experience working around explosives and/or with other high
hazard materials or effects.
- Experience using computer aided design tools
- Experience with one or more of the following topics: dynamic
radiography, high speed photography, Photonic Doppler Velocimetry,
radiometry, pulsed power (flash lamps, fire sets), system generated
EMP, grounding and shielding, modeling transmission and effects of
- Experience with scientific data analysis in mainstream
programming languages or tools such as C++, Python, MATLAB,
- Knowledge of the WCI weapons program and/or explosive
hydrodynamic experimentationAdditional InformationAll your
information will be kept confidential according to EEO
guidelines.Position InformationThis is a Career Indefinite
position, open to Lab employees and external candidates.Why
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 -Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Assistance
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needsSecurity
ClearanceThis position requires a Department of Energy (DOE)
Q-level clearance. If you are selected, we -will initiate a Federal
background investigation to determine if you -meet eligibility
requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also,
all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. -Pre-Employment Drug
TestExternal applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a
post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use
of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal
Contractor.Pre-Placement Medical ExamA job related pre-placement
medical examination may be required.Equal Employment OpportunityWe
are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing
all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national
origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status,
age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by
applicable laws.We invite you to review the Equal Employment
Opportunity posters which include EEO is the Law and Pay
Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision .Reasonable
AccommodationOur goal is to create an accessible and inclusive
experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the
Laboratory. If you need a reasonable accommodation during the
application or the recruiting process, please use our online form
to submit a request. -California -Privacy NoticeThe California
Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California
residents. The law also entitles -job applicants, employees, and
non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information
LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can
be accessed here .Apply Now Operated by the Lawrence Livermore
National Security, LLC for theDepartment of Energy's National
Nuclear Security AdministrationLearn about the Department of
Energy's Vulnerability Disclosure Program
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Senior Explosives Research Experiment Lead, Other , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!