Mechanical Technologist - Materials Characterization
Posted on: January 14, 2023
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the
world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply
their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our
world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an
inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our
people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is
essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the
$36.50 - $47.28 Hourly for the 533.2 level
$43.78 - $56.70 Hourly for the 533.3 level
Please note that the pay range information is a general guideline
only. Many factors are taken into consideration when setting
starting pay including education, experience, the external labor
market, and internal equity.
We have an opening for a Mechanical Technologist/Senior Mechanical
Technologist in the Materials and Nondestructive Evaluation (NDE)
Section within the Materials Engineering Division (MED). You will
support ongoing mission critical activities. In this role, you will
provide technical support of materials characterization activities,
such as sample preparation, digital optical microscopy, hardness
testing, and other microscopy techniques, for a variety of metal
alloys and other materials. As part of the team, you will interact
with materials scientists, engineers, technologists, and support
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and
related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job
responsibilities will be assigned if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Work with chemicals (etchants, solvents, embedding resins),
metallographic lab equipment (microscopes, compositions and
particle analyzers, precision saws, polishers), and various
- Operate various machine tools, power tools, and hand
- Provide general technical support in sample preparation and
- Acquire and analyze data and provide solutions and alternate
approaches to moderately complex mechanical problems using
individual creativity and judgement.
- Follow and adhere to written, operational, and safety
procedures while completing job assignments.
- Complete various on-site training modules to pursue work
- Provide technical support to engineering, scientific, and
technical staff to plan and conduct experiments.
- Maintain documentation of systems and experimental
- Practice good housekeeping in experimental, work, and office
areas and perform all assignments in accordance with ES&H,
security, and business practice requirements and policies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 533.3 Level
- Provide advanced design and fabrication support using
appropriate materials and processes.
- Interact directly with physicists, engineers, scientists, and
project leads to identify, evaluate, and analyze requirements and
- Set priorities, schedules, and manpower requirements to solve
complex mechanical and operational problems.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security
clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- An associate degree in microscopy, materials science or related
engineering technology, or the equivalent combination of education
and related experience in a technical or engineering field.
- Experience with common metallurgical sample preparation
techniques, including basic component mounting, sectioning, fine
polishing, and etching.
- Experience making independent decisions regarding moderately
complex technical problems.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team
- Demonstrated proficient written and verbal communication
skills, and interpersonal skills necessary to communicate
- Demonstrated ability to organize work, handle conflicting
tasks, and interact effectively with team members.
- Experience with personal computers and associated software (MS
- Experience using precision measurement equipment such as
calipers, micrometers, and height gauges.
- Experience using general hand tools to include hand drills, and
Additional qualifications at the 533.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of characterization techniques and
metallurgical sample preparation.
- Significant experience operating characterization
Qualifications We Desire
- Familiarity with microstructures.
- Familiarity with image analysis.
- Familiarity with micro-hardness lab equipment.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO
This is a Career Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Flexible Benefits Package
- Education Assistance
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level
clearance. If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal
background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility
requirements for access to classified information or matter. Also,
all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a
post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use
of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal
Equal Employment Opportunity
We are an equal opportunity employer that is committed to providing
all with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national
origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity,
disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status,
age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by
We invite you to review the Equal Employment Opportunity posters
which include EEO is the Law and Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination
Our goal is to create an accessible and inclusive experience for
all candidates applying and interviewing at the Laboratory. If you
need a reasonable accommodation during the application or the
recruiting process, please use our online form to submit a
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to
all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Videos To Watch
Keywords: LLNL, Livermore , Mechanical Technologist - Materials Characterization, Other , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!