Project Controls Group Leader
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: June 9, 2021
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in
the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees
apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make
our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an
inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our
people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is
essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the
We have multiple openings for Project Controls Group Leaders
with programmatic and administrative responsibilities to support
the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Project Controls Manager.
You will support the management and oversight of the earned value
management systems, including lead responsibilities for WCI
Projects that require Project Controls Support for integrated
schedules, budgets, and reporting efforts in coordination with the
WCI Project Controls Manager and the relevant Program Offices.
These positions are in the Defense Technologies Engineering
Division (DTED), within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on
knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team.
Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned
if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop, maintain, and report earned value on the W80-4 LEP and
W87-1 integrated schedules and budgets for WCI and the supporting
programs of Weapon Technologies Engineering (WTE) Program and
Weapon Physics and Design (WPD).
- Provide project management expertise for all project aspects of
the WCI Projects that require Enhanced Program Management
Execution; lead and implement strategic planning and formulate LEP
project goals and deliverables to support mission objectives
ensuring compliance with DOE/NNSA/federal and state regulations and
- Assist in the development and maintenance of project
organizational elements and artifacts to include Organizational
Breakdown Structure (OBS), Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) and WBS
Dictionaries, Phase codes, Control Account Authorizations, Work
Package Authorizations, Basis of Estimates (BOE); assist in the
development and maintenance of the Performance Measurement
Baselines through the application of project management principles
using earned value management (EVM).
- Assist in the establishment and/or maintenance of an integrated
master schedule to ensure the project is aligned to key project
milestones and completed within agreed upon time and cost
constraints, using industry standard project scheduling practices,
schedule quality and risk assessments and corrective action
- Assist in the development, implementation, and maintenance of
streamlined data systems and processes to ensure the production and
dissemination of comprehensive, accurate, timely, consistent, and
relevant project controls earned value information on a monthly
basis, and as required.
- Develop and maintain project control procedures consistent with
Program and Sponsor needs that integrate with WCI and laboratory
policies and procedures.
- Provide effective leadership and oversight to the project
controls staff, including the hiring of staff, writing of
performance appraisals, timecards, team building, and
- Promote open communication, collaboration and feedback between
the sponsor, program management, technical teams, and the project
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the TSL.4 level
- Lead and implement strategic project controls data systems and
processes to support WCI's program and projects with project
controls and Earned Value Management System (EVMS).
- Lead development and standup of project organizational elements
and artifacts of WCI's program and projects as well as lead
schedule development and cost estimates through the application of
project management principles using earned value management
- Act as the LLNL spokesperson for project controls discussions
with Nuclear Security Enterprise (NSE) counterparts andNNSA Federal
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security
clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in relevant functional discipline or related
field, or the equivalent combination of education and related
- Significant experience directing and planning project
controls/management and analyzing and solving complex problems in
innovative and effective ways and defining appropriate
responsibilities, accountabilities, and authorities.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of project management tools
and techniques, including work planning, scheduling, cost
estimating, analyzing and managing budgets, risk management, and
project controls reporting.
- Experience in personnel administration, and training of
technical and nontechnical personnel with experience presenting
project controls information to client/management.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills
necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise senior
management and external sponsors.
- Effective interpersonal skills and ability to work
collaboratively and in a multidisciplinary team environment and
ability to coordinate work and goals on multiple simultaneous
- Ability to travel.
Additional qualifications at the TSL.4 level
- Ability to lead and implement strategic project controls data
systems and processes to support WCI's program and projects with
project controls and Earned Value Management System (EVMS).
- Significant technical experience and knowledge in Laboratory
and/or NNSA program execution.
- Extensive experience and ability to deliver innovative
solutions by applying cutting-edge technologies.
Qualifications We Desire
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification.
- Expert knowledge and understanding of project controls systems
and current industry and technical developments.
- Experience with Oracle Financial Systems, Primavera P6, Cobra,
wInsight, Empower, Tableau, Acumen.
- Experience with LLNL and DOE/NNSA financial policies and
procedures, and Contract DE-AC52-07NA27344 requirements.
- Familiar with Department of Defense (DoD) 5000 and NNSA 6.x
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types
and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear
Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will
require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance
requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal
background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility
requirements for access to classified information or matter. In
addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug
testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold
multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be
required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q
clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information
please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer
that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during
the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request
via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights
to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Videos To Watch
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Project Controls Group Leader, Other , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!