Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in
the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees
apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make
our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an
inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our
people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is
essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the
We have an opening for a staff scientist to conduct a full range
of general to moderately complex research in the advanced
engineering and manufacturing of materials for uses in harsh
service conditions and extreme environments. You will actively
participate with and be an integral member of an interdisciplinary
team responsible for conducting and supporting research in design,
synthesis, characterization, processing and/or integration of
ceramics, metals and composite materials. This position is in the
High Performance Materials group in the Materials Science
This position will be filled at either the SES.1 or SES.2 level
depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities
(outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher
In this role you will
- Perform powder handling, mixing, blending, milling, cleaning
and processing. Create, cast, print powder suspensions, slurries
and inks. Sinter ceramics bodies at elevated pressures and/or
- Characterize the microstructure, chemical composition, thermal
and mechanical properties of materials. Evaluate their performance
in corrosive environments and at elevated temperatures.
- Interact with a wide spectrum of scientists internally and
externally to the Laboratory to enhance the applications of ceramic
and composite materials.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team
environment to accomplish research goals and provide solutions to
problems with limited complexity.
- Maintain an accurate and detailed laboratory notebook;
generate, organize, and analyze experimental data; and participate
in research and project planning.
- Document research and provide results for presentation within
the DOE community and at conferences.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.2 level
- Participate in the conception and design of moderately complex
to complex new experiments to execute research to address defined
problems within the scope of LLNL interests.
- Design and perform procedures to tailor the performance of
various material systems: powder feedstocks, suspensions, or
- Prepare written analyses, verbal briefings, and other products
that capture and communicate research results.
- Ability to maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security clearance which
requires U.S. citizenship.
- BS degree in materials science or engineering, ceramics,
chemistry, physics or related field, or the equivalent combination
of education and related experience.
- Fundamental knowledge and practical experience operating,
maintaining, data-logging a variety of laboratory equipment for
materials processing such as ovens, furnaces, hydraulic presses,
vacuum or pressurized gas systems, chemical fume hoods or
- Experience identifying and recommending solutions to
fundamental problems using initiative and creativity.
- Proficiency in verbal and written communication as reflected by
effective presentations at seminars, meetings and/or teaching
- The willingness and ability to work independently, and to
collaborate on multidisciplinary teams as required to reach
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Experience working with ceramic or composite fabrication
techniques such as milling, casting, sintering in vacuum furnaces,
- Experience or knowledge in a variety of advanced and additive
- Experience performing hazardous work with reactive or nano-
materials and performing experiments in corrosive or
Qualifications we desire
- MS degree in materials science or engineering, ceramics,
chemistry, physics or related field, or equivalent combination of
education and related experience.
- A proven interest in pushing ceramic or composite materials to
the forefront of advanced engineering whether for traditional or
- Willingness and ability to provide data for proposals to gain
funding for either feasibility or long-term studies.
- Willingness to engage and contribute to our inclusive lab
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types
and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear
Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will
require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance
requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal
background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility
requirements for access to classified information or matter. In
addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug
testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold
multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be
required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q
clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information
please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be
required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This
includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us
as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer
that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during
the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request
via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights
to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Videos To Watch