Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in
the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees
apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make
our world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding
of working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate,
and contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide
expertise to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for Electrical Engineer/Generalists.
Successful candidates will help develop, design, and implement
analog and digital circuits for a wide range of research and
development projects in the areas of RF instrumentation,
accelerators, networked sensor and space-based systems for national
security missions. Technical responsibilities include analog and
digital design, embedded programming, back end drivers, simulation,
control applications and/or high-power systems. Execution involves
working in a team environment to produce system specifications,
design documentation, simulated system performance, test plans,
tested hardware and software, and design reviews. You will work
within National Security Engineering Division (NSED) providing
solutions to the challenges facing our nation in national defense,
homeland security, energy and environment, and fundamental physics.
This position is in NSED within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge
and related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional
job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at
the higher level.
In this role you will
- Develop conceptual designs of limited complexity electrical
systems, test prototypes, and associated diagnostics under general
- Develop detailed designs, specify circuit components, oversee
part fabrication and unit assembly.
- Develop software at the application layer down to the embedded
processor using well defined techniques and methods.
- Develop device drivers and applications of limited complexity
to talk to commercial off the shelf (COTS) or custom hardware.
- Perform circuit simulations to verify system performance and
- Learn unique design requirements for electrical systems that
involve both high voltage and high explosives.
- Prepare supporting safety and engineering documentation and
participate in engineering design reviews.
- Participate in engineering testing operations, analyze results,
and write reports.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the SES.2 level
- Provide solutions and guidance to the testing of prototypes and
associated diagnostics utilizing comprehensive knowledge of
conceptual designs of electrical systems.
- Collaborate with team members to solve moderately complex to
complex issues/problems that require analysis and creative use of
established techniques and methods under limited direction.
- Interact with other organizations internal and external to the
Laboratory to complete various LLNL projects.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security
clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field,
or equivalent combination of education and previous relevant
- Knowledge of fundamental electrical engineering concepts
related to assembly, calibration, and testing of analog and digital
- Knowledge of SPICE or similar circuit simulation software.
- Fundamental knowledge of microcontroller, FPGA hardware, and
associated software and simulation tools.
- Fundamental knowledge of technical computing (e.g., simulation
development, signal and image processing) using platforms such as
MATLAB or Python.
- Experience with modern application development using languages
such as C++ or Java
- Ability to work in a multidisciplinary team environment
- Sufficient communication skills with proven ability to present
concepts and ideas in a clear and coherent manner, both verbal and
written for presentation and interaction with other technical staff
Additional qualifications at the SES.2 level
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience reading and interpreting
moderately complex to complex mechanical, optical, and electrical
specifications using drawings, datasheets, and procedure
- Experience in conducting experiments of electrical
configuration and settings, and the advanced application of timing
and data acquisition systems.
- Experience translating customer requirements into control
systems hardware and software specifications.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree in Electrical Engineering or related
- Knowledge of LABVIEW for hardware control and instrumentation
- Knowledge of design applications for high voltage systems.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types
and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear
Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will
require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance
requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal
background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility
requirements for access to classified information or matter. In
addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug
testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold
multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be
required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q
clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information
please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer
that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during
the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request
via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights
to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Videos To Watch