Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in
the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees
apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make
our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an
inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our
people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is
essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the
We have multiple openings for Photonics/Laser Electro-Optics
Technologists (LEOT). You will work in a multidisciplinary team to
develop, deploy and maintain complex laser systems in the National
Ignition Facility and Photon Science Directorate (NIF & PS). This
position is in the Laser Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO)
Division within the Engineering Directorate.
These positions will be filled at either level based on
knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team.
Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned
if hired at the higher level.
In this role you will
- Provide technical support in the design, development, and
installation of new laser/optical systems under limited
- Perform maintenance, operations, repairs, and upgrades of
- Generate and maintain system documentation including operations
procedures and optical configuration drawings.
- Perform periodic maintenance activities on diagnostics.
- Collaborate with Physics and Engineering staff to perform
developmental and experimental setups.
- Acquire moderately complex data using computer-based data
acquisition and controls.
- Produce supportive documentation and graphics using drafting,
design, engineering, and scientific programs on computer
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities, at the 531.3 level
- Analyze complex system performance of high energy laser
technology and processes and present data to a peer review team
- Interpret requirements for opto-mechanical assemblies,
precision laser alignment and tolerancing of laser/optical
- Serve as a technical lead for engineering principles to solve
complex problems using established guidelines, techniques, and
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security
clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Electrical Engineering Technology, Laser
Electro-Optics, Physics or the equivalent combination of education
and prior relevant experience.
- Experience in electronic assembly.
- Intermediate skills and knowledge of electro-mechanical
technology, including general electronics background in both theory
and design while applying the knowledge of electronics, software,
instrumentation and controls, or electro-optic theory and ability
to solve circuitry or system challenges.
- Experience in electronic design, fabrication, and
- Experience in safe work and business practices.
- Experience working effectively in a multi-disciplinary team
- Possess effective written, verbal, and presentation
Additional qualifications at the 531.3 level
- Advanced skills and understanding of high energy laser
technology and processes with the ability to design complex systems
and solutions to problems under minimal supervision.
- Advanced skills with opto-mechanical assemblies, precision
laser alignment and tolerancing. Demonstrated high-level technical
skills and knowledge of engineering principles to solve complex
problems using established guidelines, techniques, and
- Advanced skills and understanding of photonics/laser
technologies and experience working on a technical project team and
providing technical direction to others.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience with engineering software tools such as SolidWorks,
CREO, LabView or MATLAB.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types
and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear
Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will
require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance
requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal
background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility
requirements for access to classified information or matter. In
addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug
testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold
multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be
required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q
clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information
please see DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer
that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during
the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request
via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights
to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Videos To Watch