Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in
the world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees
apply their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make
our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an
inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our
people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is
essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the
We have an opening for a Materials Scientist to perform a full
range of moderate to complex research in the area of actinide
science and powder metallurgy. You will actively participate with
and be an integral member of an interdisciplinary team responsible
for conducting and supporting research in actinide chemistry and
materials science. This position is in the Actinides and
Lanthanides Group within the Materials Science Division.
This position will be filled at either the SES.2 or SES.3 level
depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities
(outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher
In this role you will
- Perform powder handling, mixing, blending, milling, and
processing in an inert atmosphere glovebox.
- Handle hazardous, flammable, and radiological materials.
- Maintain laboratory infrastructure such as vacuum pumps,
pressure relief devices, compressed gas cylinders, and eye
- Perform laboratory work with minimal supervision and provide
solutions to problems of moderate complexity.
- Communicate research and process development results in
meetings, presentations, or documents.
- Contribute to and actively participate in the development of
the hydride-dehydride process to meet sponsor needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional job responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Conduct advanced research and development on process parameters
effect on powder microstructure and mechanical properties.
- Characterize and analyze data of the process powders. (e.g.,
SEM, TEM, XRD, TGA, PSD).
- Document results in technical reports, scientific publications,
and present results at scientific conferences for stakeholders,
program managers, and to the public.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security
clearance which requires U.S. Citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in chemical engineering, mechanical
engineering, materials science or related field, or the equivalent
combination of education and related experience.
- Experience with standard data analysis techniques.
- Ability to lift 10 kgs regularly.
- Ability to perform work in a respirator and coveralls.
- Ability to work independently, as well as a member of a
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to
interact with a diverse set of scientists, engineers, and other
technical and administrative staff within a collaborative research
and development environment at LLNL.
Additional qualifications at the SES.3 level
- MS or PhD in chemical engineering, mechanical engineering,
materials science, or related field, or the equivalent combination
of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in microstructure or powder
characterization, solidification dynamics, and surface reactions
- Advanced knowledge of actinide chemistry.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in hydrogen corrosion and hydride-dehydride
- Experience in hazardous materials handling such as
air-sensitive or radioactive materials.
- Experience in metallurgy and metal processing.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2021 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types
and security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear
Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will
require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance
requirement). If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal
background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility
requirements for access to classified information or matter. In
addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug
testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold
multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be
required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q
clearance will be processed/granted. For additional information
please see DOE Order 472.2.
Pre-Employment Drug Test
External applicant(s) selected for this position will be
required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This
includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us
as a Federal Contractor.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam
A job related pre-placement medical examination may be
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer
that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants
will receive consideration for employment without regard to race,
color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex,
sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during
the application or the recruiting process, please submit a request
via our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights
to all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Videos To Watch