Design Associate - Automation
Posted on: April 2, 2021
Haskell is seeking a Design Associate - Automation to join our
team in our Livermore, CA office! The Design Associate will be
responsible for developing and implementing PLC and HMI software as
well as the electrical design utilizing PLCs, instrumentation,
valve controls, and motor controls while ensuring it is technically
sound and meets project specifications and requirements. This
position generally involves introductory software work including
HMI screen development, basic PLC structure, and the lower level
PLC operations. There may be some limited exposure to electrical
design as well. Participate in startup work with supervision by
senior-level automation and process engineers. The Consumer
Packaged Goods (CPG) Group at Haskell supports core markets
throughout the U.S., as well as Mexico and the Asia Pacific Region.
Providing architecture, engineering and construction for over 55
years in the food and beverage, consumer products, and beer, wine
and spirits markets, we work closely with many Fortune 500
companies providing our industry knowledge and expertise. Our CPG
team is a melting pot of industry-leading experts and diverse,
knowledgeable and experienced team members who work together to
provide the best solutions to our clients. By joining the CPG team,
you will become a part of a close-knit family ready to support each
other and our clients. We offer a unique opportunity to build your
skills, provide knowledge and create things that matter. Job
- Conceptual Design
- Assist with the development of supporting documentation for
- Design low voltage (typically 480VAC and lower) power and
control systems for automated process or packaging applications
including control system panels, motor control center design,
safety systems, and automation network design.
- Prepare scopes of work, bills of material, specifications, and
other necessary project documents.
- Review, check and hand-edit electrical drawings.
- Develop PLC application software.
- Develop HMI application software.
- Construction/Startup Support
- Answer RFIs (Request for Information).
- Supervision of construction and check-out of control system
panels and components in vendor's facilities.
- Provide informal training to the client operating and
maintenance personnel related to process system operation and
control system maintenance.
- Commission control system: conduct point to point checks,
perform trial performance runs, and perform performance runs with
- Document and maintain proper records of all design changes made
during installation and startup work, to serve as a basis for the
development of as-installed control system drawings and
- Update and maintain installation punch list to track contractor
- Provide ongoing technical and troubleshooting support as
requested by clients as on-going support after startup.
- Flexibility for travel for installations and onsite startup is
required. The average travel expectation is up to 50%. Some periods
of heavy travel should be expected.
- Project Management
- Provide supervisors and project managers with reports on
project progress with respect to work completed and work still
required, actual time requirements, versus estimates, and technical
matters related to startup and/or client service.
- Profitability/ Planning/Scheduling
- Coordinate with the project manager to maximize project
profitability. Work to develop technical skills to maximize
- Maintain close contact and coordination with supervisor and
project managers concerning all internal and external activity and
- Professional Development
- Pursuit of a P.E. License is encouraged.
- Works as part of a larger team, not an independent island. Is
flexible and willing to quickly move between projects as needed to
assist in meeting the project schedule. Education/Experience:
- Degreed Engineer in Electrical Engineering, Electrical
Engineering Technology, Computer Engineering or related field is
preferred with 0-5 years of experience in industrial controls
design. Specific Knowledge, Skills, License, Certifications, Etc.:
- Ability to develop simple sketches and drawings and provide
verbal instructions to define design requirements.
- Ability to use basic electrical instruments.
- Experience in software programming is very desirable.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to adjust to changing timelines and meet
- Ability to understand and adhere to both company and client
- Excellent skills in time management, organization, and
- Must be able to communicate in an objective and concise manner
with supervisor(s), project managers, process engineers, suppliers,
clients, and others, both orally and in writing, as related to job
- Must exhibit sound inter-personal skills and maintain amiable
professional relationships with all company, client, and related
- Must be self-motivated with regard to the completion of
assigned tasks and in obtaining new work from supervisors.
- Basic understanding of hydraulics, fluid flow, pneumatics, and
electric circuits. (Hydraulics and fluid flow knowledge applies to
the process automation discipline only) Haskell is an Equal
Opportunity Employer (Females/Minorities/Protected
Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities). All persons shall have the
opportunity to be considered for employment without regard to their
race, color, creed, religion, national origin, ancestry, alienage
or citizenship status, age, disability, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, veteran's status, genetic information, or any
other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or
local laws. Haskell is a drug-free workplace, all applicants who
receive conditional offers of employment will be subjected to
pre-employment drug testing. Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected
Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities The contractor will not
discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or
applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or
disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or
applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation
information of other employees or applicants as a part of their
essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees
or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to
compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response
to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an
investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an
investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the
contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR
Keywords: Haskell, Livermore , Design Associate - Automation, Other , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!