Data Science Summer Institute Graduate Student Internship
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Company Description Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!Are
you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world
to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply
their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our
world a better place.We are looking for individuals that
demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team
peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an
inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging
problems. Job Description We have multiple openings for our summer
internship program in data science. Our openings are for graduate
level students or students who have received their Bachelor's or
Master's degree to join the Data Science Summer Institute (DSSI).
The DSSI is a 12-week summer internship program and selected
interns will be given the opportunity to engage in practical
research to further their educational goals. The selected interns
will work in the data science field and provide technical and/or
research support to projects in the area of Machine Learning,
Statistics, High Performance Computing and other related fields.In
this roleyou will
- Students will work with scientists, engineers, and technical
staff members to provide technical and/or research support to
projects in the areas of computational science, numerical methods,
mathematics, or other related fields.
- Perform technical assignments of a basic degree of complexity
and provide technical support to scientists in scientific research
and development projects.
- Support documentation, testing, creation, or modification of
Laboratory software, hardware, or Computer operating systems.
- Under limited direction and supervision, conduct research in
assigned area. Gather and analyze data and information in support
of scientific research.
- Participate in research planning and evaluation
- Attend relevant seminars and participate in DSSI related
courses, meetings, and events.
- Present work through presentations and/or poster sessions
during your internship.
- Perform other duties as assigned Qualifications
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good
standing at an accredited institution pursuing a graduate degree or
has completed their bachelor's or master's degree in Computer
Science, Statistics, Mathematics, Machine Learning, Computer
Vision, Bioengineering or other related fields.
- Effective programming skills in a high-level language such as
R, Python or Matlab. Distributed/parallel computing and experience
with C/C++ and/or Java a plus.
- Ability to apply principles of data sciences (machine learning,
statistics, computer science, mathematics) to solve technical
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Effective communication skills.
- Desire to understand and explore why certain algorithms are
well-suited to specific applications.
- Desire to participate in individual or team efforts including
the LLNL DSSI Challenge Problems.
- Desire to improve skills in public presentation of scientific
results by giving presentations and participating in the LLNL
student poster competition.
- Eagerness to obtain an understanding of new application
- Exposure through coursework or relevant experience to some of
the following topics:
- Statistical modeling and data analysis
- Bayesian and frequentist statistical frameworks
- Inverse problems, uncertainty quantification
- Machine learning
- Computer vision
- Multimedia signal and video processing
- Combinatorics and algorithms
- Graph modeling and social network analysis
- Modeling and SimulationQualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.0 or above. Additional Information Why Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
environmentLearn more about our company, selection process,
position types and security clearances by visiting our Careersite
.Security ClearanceLLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and
National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most
positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference
Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, wewill
initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet
eligibility requirements for access to classified information or
matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to
random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you
may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE
L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional
information please see DOE Order 472.2 .Equal Employment
OpportunityLLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity
employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin,
ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability,
medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age,
citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
laws.If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation
during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a
request via our online form .CaliforniaPrivacy NoticeThe California
Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California
residents. The law also entitlesjob applicants, employees, and
non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information
LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can
be accessed here . - provided by Dice
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Data Science Summer Institute Graduate Student Internship, Other , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!