Postdoctoral Experimental Physicist- Short Pulse HEDP
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: February 22, 2021
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the
world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply
their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our
world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of
working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and
contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise
to solve challenging problems.
We have openings for multiple Postdoctoral Experimental Physicists-
Short Pulse HEDP to execute experiments, develop unique diagnostics
and diagnostic techniques, and lead frontier research in the area
of high-intensity short-pulse laser science and applications and
high-energy-density plasmas (HEDP). Areas of active research are
high-intensity laser interactions with matter, laser-driven
secondary sources, plasma optics, future light sources, and the
development of high-repetition-rate diagnostics, targetry,
modeling, and machine learning. These positions are in the HED
S&T organization in the Short-Pulse Laser Science &
Applications Group in the National Ignition Facility and Photon
Science Principal (NIF&PS) Directorate.
In this role you will
- Research, design, and execute laser driven experiments at the
NIF-ARC, OMEGA EP, LaserNetUS, and other international
high-intensity short-pulse laser facilities.
- Design, field, and coordinate the development of new
high-intensity short-pulse laser interaction diagnostics and
data-handling methods to enhance high-repetition-rate experimental
- Use and develop machine learning techniques to perform advanced
- Author and present technical and scientific reports,
presentations, publications, and proposals for internal and
external audiences including the DOE community and at
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team
environment to accomplish research goals.
- Coordinate team resources and plan experimental campaigns.
- Pursue independent, but complementary, research interests and
interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and
externally to the Laboratory.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in short-pulse laser physics, plasma physics, nuclear
engineering or physics, or related discipline.
- Experience designing, executing, and analyzing experiments
and/or operating facilities in short-pulse high-intensity laser
- Ability to perform as an innovative experimentalist with a
broad range of experience in experimental design, techniques,
execution, and analysis.
- Experience developing, calibrating, fielding, and analyzing
x-ray, optical, or nuclear plasma diagnostics, or ultrafast laser
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to author
technical and scientific reports, publications, invited papers, and
proposals, and deliver scientific presentations.
- Effective initiative and interpersonal skills including the
ability to work both as part of a collaborative, multi-disciplinary
team, as well as the ability to produce independent, original
- Ability to think broadly and devise innovative solutions to
problems to accomplish objectives.
Qualifications We Desire
- Hands-on experience working at HEDP or laser user
- Experience with high repetition rate laser systems,
experiments, diagnostics, or targetry.
- Experience with data science approaches of machine learning,
control augmentation, extreme data algorithms, and/or data-enhanced
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and
security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security
Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE
L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement).
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background
investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for
access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q
cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q
clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple
citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to
renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance
will be processed/granted. For additional information please see
DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that
values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the
application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via
our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to
all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Postdoctoral Experimental Physicist- Short Pulse HEDP, Other , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!