Energy Conversion Postdoctoral Researcher
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: February 22, 2021
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the
world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply
their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our
world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of
working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and
contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise
to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening within the Energy Conversion and Storage Group
for a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member. The Energy Conversion and
Storage Group seeks to gain fundamental and practical insight into
combustion processes through numerical simulations and experiments
and develop predictive combustion models and software that are fast
enough to impact the engine design cycle. This position is in the
Computational Engineering Division (CED), within the Engineering
In this role you will
- Conduct research in and development of one or more of the
following areas: fluid dynamics, reactive chemistry, numerical
methods, and heterogeneous computing.
- Design, implement, and analyze techniques in one or more of the
- Pursue complementary research interests and interact with a
broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally.
- Reduce the time, resource cost, or increase accuracy of
combustion simulations by designing efficient algorithms guided by
applied mathematics and physics.
- Develop and apply numerical tools to simulate high efficiency
clean combustion engine regimes and novel combustion systems by
combining multidimensional fluid mechanics with chemical
- Conduct detailed analysis of high efficiency clean combustion
engine regimes and novel combustion processes.
- Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment
to accomplish research goals.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or
technical journals and present results at external conferences
seminars and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in Engineering, Applied Science, or related field.
- Experience in one or more of the following areas: fluid
dynamics, reactive chemistry, numerical methods, and heterogeneous
- Experience developing independent research projects, including
publication of peer-reviewed literature.
- Comprehensive knowledge in analysis, modeling, and simulation
tools (e.g. CFD, FEA).
- Ability to thrive autonomously; be pro-active in solving
inevitable road blocks, have a persistent attitude, and self-train
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills to
collaborate effectively in a team environment and present and
explain technical information.
- Interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative,
multidisciplinary team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- Experience in writing technical reports, journal articles, and
high-quality research proposals.
- Project management skills.
- Experience with C/C++, Python, Linux, GPUs, and parallel
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and
security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security
Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE
L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement).
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background
investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for
access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q
cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q
clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple
citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to
renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance
will be processed/granted. For additional information please see
DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that
values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the
application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via
our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to
all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Energy Conversion Postdoctoral Researcher, Other , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!