Company: AMERICAN VACUUM SOCIETY INC
Posted on: February 16, 2021
Job Seeker Employer Help/FAQs Home Jobs Summer
Research/Internships Your Profile Resources SIGN IN
- Your Job Alerts
- Your Saved Jobs 0 SAVE Design Physicist Lawrence Livermore
National Laboratory Application By using this feature you agree to
February 10, 2021 Location: Livermore, California Show Map Salary:
Open We have multiple openings for Design Physicists We are seeking
exceptional Physical Scientists and Engineers with backgrounds in
fields such as plasma physics, radiation transport, atomic physics,
nuclear physics, physical chemistry, condensed matter physics,
computational physics, or hydrodynamics. Our national-security
mission encompasses aspects of computational, theoretical, and
experimental physics associated with the complex processes of
nuclear explosives. Under limited direction, you will be
responsible for advancing our understanding and developing
methodologies for important national-security challenges. This
position is in the Design Physics Division within the Weapons and
Complex Integration (WCI) Directorate. This position will be filled
at either level based on knowledge and related experience as
assessed by the hiring team. Additional job responsibilities
(outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the higher level. In
this role you will
- Assess the complex physics interactions that take place in
- Design and provide analysis of experiments exploring the
physics of nuclear explosives.
- Simulate weapons phenomena and perform weapons assessment and
certification tasks using physical models in computer codes.
- Define and implement stockpile stewardship for specific weapons
- Present and disseminate research results at scientific
conferences and in peer-reviewed publications, in both open and
classified environments, internal and external to LLNL.
Responsibilities may also include interacting with external
stakeholders, both at DOE/NNSA and across the broader interagency,
as well as via offsite assignments.
- Develop expertise in interrelated fields of physics important
to weapons assessment and certification.
- Travel minimally or substantially based on needs of
- Perform other duties as assigned. Additional job
responsibilities at the SES.3 Level
- Independently develop, assess and provide in depth analysis of
the complex physics interactions that take place in nuclear
explosion where problems may not be well defined.
- Work as technical expert on multidisciplinary team.
- Guide the analysis and lead the design of experiments exploring
the physics of nuclear explosives.
- PhD in physics, engineering, or a related field or equivalent
level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Demonstrated record of completing outstanding research in
relevant areas of physics and engineering.
- Experience with computer-based design and analysis of
- Demonstrated aptitude for mastering new fields of physics; a
record of creativity, physical insight, and breadth of
understanding in applications of complex physical processes.
- Experience in using advanced computational facilities for
applied physics analysis and conducting applied physics
- Proficient verbal and written communication and presentation
skills necessary to author technical and scientific reports,
publications, invited papers, and to deliver scientific
- Experience working effectively independently and in a
multidisciplinary, team-research environment.
- Demonstrated self-motivation and initiative in addressing
challenging problems.Additional qualifications at the SES.3 Level
- Advanced knowledge of physics, engineering, or a related
- Significant experience and ability to lead independent work
conducting applied physics research.
- Demonstrated record of leading top quality research in relevant
areas of physics and engineering. Internal Number: 3743990000027127
About Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory For more than 60
years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory has applied
science and technology to make the world a safer place.Livermore's
defining responsibility is ensuring the safety, security and
reliability of the nation's nuclear deterrent. Yet LLNL's mission
is broader than stockpile stewardship, as dangers ranging from
nuclear proliferation and terrorism to energy shortages and climate
change threaten national security and global stability. The
Laboratory's science and engineering are being applied to achieve
breakthroughs for counterterrorism and nonproliferation, defense
and intelligence, energy and environmental security. More Jobs from
This Employer More Jobs Like This Experimental High Energy /
Nuclear Physicist - Senior R&D Staff Oak Ridge, Tennessee Oak
Ridge National Laboratory Today Design Physicist Livermore,
California Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory 2 Days Ago
Inertial Confinement Fusion Physicist Livermore, California
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory 2 Days Ago BACK TO TOP The
AVS Career Center has listings for the latest science and
engineering jobs in specialized disciplines like applied physics,
astrophysics, atomic and molecular physics, mechanical engineering,
plasma physics, materials science and engineering, fluid mechanics
and dynamics, optics and lasers, and electrical engineering plus
teaching jobs for assistant, associate, and full professor roles.
Find a job here as a computational or experimental physicist,
postdoctoral appointee, fellow, or researcher. AVS is a partner in
the AIP Career Network, a collection of online job sites for
scientists and engineers. Other partners include Physics Today, the
American Association of Physicists in Medicine (AAPM), American
Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT), American Physical Society
(APS Physics), and the Society of Physics Students (SPS) and Sigma
For assistance, please call 1-888-491-8833 or e-mail
Be sure to tell employers you saw their ad on the AVS Career
Center! Copyright 2021 AVS
All rights reserved
Keywords: AMERICAN VACUUM SOCIETY INC, Livermore , Design Physicist, Other , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!