W87-1 Modification Program Warhead Assessment Group Leader
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: February 16, 2021
We have an opening for a W87-1 MP Warhead Assessment Group. Your
primary focus will be to provide professional leadership and
programmatic oversight for a range of technical assessment
activities, leading individuals, and groups of professional and
technical personnel, to design, build, instrument, test and report
on warhead and component assemblies. You will be responsible for
interfacing with the entire W87-1 team as well as other DTED groups
including the Engineering Design and Test, Environmental Test, and
Advanced Engineering Analysis groups. This position is in the
Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), supporting the
Weapon Technologies and Engineering (WTE) Program, within the
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and
related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job
responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the
In this role you will
- Provide supervision, guidance and training to group members,
foster staff development, promote the warhead assessment technology
improvements and participate in hiring activities and balancing of
group skill sets to support WTE and WCI programs.
- Manage multiple W87-1 MP portfolios of assessment work package
activities, ensuring that scope, schedule, costs and project risks
are developed, executed, communicated, and tracked
- Direct and assign work to group members and remain cognizant of
the technical goals, workload balances and progress of group
- Define, track, and complete work objectives on time and within
budget in collaboration with group and LEP personnel. Monitor
performance required to meet programmatic milestones and
deliverables and lead corrective actions where necessary.
- Provide W87-1 MP warhead assessment group with leadership in
project management, assessment methods, project development,
execution and oversight, warhead expertise, design qualification
warhead certification work.
- Ensure delivery of Joint Test Assembly (JTA) products in
accordance with schedule; product realization processes and
integrate JTA electromechanical design.
- Regularly interface with other DTED groups to ensure W87-1
system level assessment priorities are communicated and carried
- Perform WTE and WCI special assignments and represent the W87-1
MP and DTED at meetings, briefings, and committee activities both
internal and external to the Laboratory.
- Prepare and conduct performance management activities for group
personnel and contribute to the DTED ranking and salary management
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In addition at the SEL.5 Level
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior
management and external customers, based on W87-1 MP Warhead
- Mentor staff across the organization, including other mentors.
Encourage authorship of assessment technologies, innovations, and
- Serve as organization spokesperson by Laboratory management
and/or external advisor by sponsors and/or professional societies
representing the Laboratory in warhead assessment matters.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field, or the
equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience with engineering testing, sensors, and
data analysis methods. Subject matter knowledge of nuclear warhead
engineering, systems engineering and integration.
- Expertise with warhead assessment testing and analysis,
hardware management, product realization processes, project work
planning, scheduling, cost estimating, analyzing and managing
budgets, and project controls reporting.
- Ability to promote and maintain productive relationships across
directorates, with other laboratories, and with personnel from
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills,
necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or
- Significant leadership, interpersonal skills, organizational,
and supervisory skills to lead personnel, write performance
appraisals, and actively participate in ranking and hiring
- Experience working independently and responsively to changing
priorities and ability to meet deadlines.
- Broad knowledge of Laboratory policies and practices and
applicable NNSA order.
In addition at the SEL.5 Level
- Serve as a nationally recognized expert performing warhead
assessments (testing and analyses), leading large engineering
efforts, and developing cutting edge assessment technologies.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills
necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise
senior management and external sponsors.
- Extensive experience and expertise in testing and analytic
technical knowledge to address advancements that may have impact
beyond the Laboratory.
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree or PhD in Engineering or related field.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and
security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security
Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE
L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement).
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background
investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for
access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q
cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q
clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple
citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to
renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance
will be processed/granted. For additional information please see
DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that
hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the
application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via
our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to
all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the
world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply
their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our
world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of
working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and
contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise
to solve challenging problems.
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , W87-1 Modification Program Warhead Assessment Group Leader, Other , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!