Mechanical Design Associate/Drawing Checker - Senior Mechanical Design
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: February 15, 2021
We have an opening for a Mechanical Designer/Drawing Checker Senior
Mechanical Designer/Drawing Checker in support of the Integrated
Engineering and Design Group (IE&DG). This group supports a
wide variety of customers and projects including Physical and Life
Sciences (PLS), Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI), Global
Security (GS), accelerator technologies, high-energy physics,
energy, and others. The current opening will be with a pulsed power
project that is in support of the stockpile stewardship program.
There will be frequent contact outside of the design group, and
external to LLNL. This position is in the National Security
Engineering Division (NSED) within the Engineering Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and
related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job
responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the
In this role you will
- Provide innovative conceptual engineering design and
development designs/proposals by preparing or directing others to
generate initial layouts.
- Direct the design of apparatus, equipment, assemblies,
facilities, utilities, and systems by interpreting and translating
design concepts and layouts for the solution of complex and
variable technical problems.
- Check drawings (form, fit, and function)rigorously against a to
all applicable standards, specifications, and policies for
completeness, clarity, and dimensional accuracy; perform tolerance
analysis and stack-ups; Provide feedback and recommendations of
drawing and design improvements.
- Interrogate assemblies/models validating design layouts and
drawing documentation using CAD systems in adherence to LLNL
drafting standards, CAD modeling practices, PDM requirements,
specifications, and program requirements and standards.
- Collaborate with Project Management/Scientific staff and the
Design team to provide timely interpretation and analysis of
comprehensive design staff metrics; monitor team's performance to
ensure programmatic milestones and deliverables are met.
- Maintain and develop professional relationships with staff and
program management to ensure timely, cost effective execution of
supportive design/drafting services; participate in mentoring
opportunities with team members by coaching early career staff and
learning from experienced team members.
- Direct Designers/Drafters through the various phases of the
design/drafting/archival process as required.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Job Responsibilities, At The 339.2 Level
- Provide highly advanced technical and related Lead expertise in
the areas of applied engineering technology including planning,
design, fabrication, project support, testing, and evaluation where
the qualitative and quantitative complexity of the project
assignment demands original and innovative problem solutions.
- Provide division and programmatic representation at meetings,
briefings, and other activities both internal and external to the
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical
Engineering Design, or equivalent combination of education and
- Significant experience in mechanical design checking.
- Significant experience with engineering hardware design,
fabrication, assembly techniques, materials, testing processes, and
- Advanced knowledge of CREO and Solid Works CAD and PTC
Windchill (PDMLink) database management software.
- Advanced knowledge of the standards, procedures, and techniques
related to drafting and/or advanced knowledge of ASME Y14.5M
Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing Standard.
- Advanced understanding of function, fabrication, processes, and
packaging of electronic systems and/or mechanical hardware.
- Experience identifying design deficiencies and recommending
revisions in design layout to responsible engineers or
- Advanced written, verbal and feedback communication and
Additional Qualifications At The 339.2 Level
- Extensive design experience with pulsed power technologies,
pulsed power design, and high/ultra-high vacuum design
- Advanced communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills
necessary to effectively present, explain, and advise sponsors,
management, and collaborators.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge of LLNL drafting, procurement, and fabrication
- Familiarity with Autodesk Inventor
- Active Department of Energy (DOE) L or Q-level clearance or an
active Secret or Top Secret clearance issued by another U.S.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and
security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security
Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE
L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement).
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background
investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for
access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q
cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q
clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple
citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to
renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance
will be processed/granted. For additional information please see
DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that
values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the
application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via
our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to
all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the
world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply
their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our
world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of
working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and
contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise
to solve challenging problems.
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Mechanical Design Associate/Drawing Checker - Senior Mechanical Design, Other , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!