Radio Communications Technologist
Company: Oak Ridge Associated Universities
Posted on: November 14, 2023
Radio Communications Technologist
Science & Engineering
Radio Communications Technologist - Mid/Senior Company Description
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World! Are you interested in
joining some of the brightest talent in the world to strengthen the
United States' security? Come join Lawrence Livermore National
Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply their expertise to
create solutions for BIG ideas that make our world a better place.
We are committed to a diverse and equitable workforce with an
inclusive culture that values and celebrates the diversity of our
people, talents, ideas, experiences, and perspectives. This is
essential to innovation and creativity for continued success of the
Laboratory's mission. Job Description We have an opening for an
Electronics Technologist/Senior Electronics Technologist in the
Radio Services Group to provide Land Mobile Radio (LMR)
communications support. You will work under general supervision as
part of a dynamic and diverse team to provide electronics support
to test, troubleshoot, repair, evaluate, operate, and maintain
radio communications equipment and systems for programs and
projects throughout the Livermore site, Site 300 in Tracy, and
other off-site locations, including working at heights on
communication towers and at remote microwave and communication
sites throughout the Bay Area. Overtime and occasional travel will
be required. This position is in the National Security Engineering
Division (NSED), within the Engineering Directorate. This position
will be filled at either level based on knowledge and related
experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job
responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the
- Provide general electronic technical
support of radio communications and wireless applications
throughout the Laboratory and Site 300.
- Will work at heights, such as with scissor-lifts, man-lifts, on
building roofs, and on communication towers to 300 feet.
- Work from sketches, drawings, electronic schematics, verbal or
written instructions, and do moderately complex troubleshooting to
the sub-system or component level.
- Identify proper test requirements, execute test procedures,
document and present test results independently, under general
- Maintain computer systems, servers, routers, networks and
- Interact regularly with co-workers, immediate supervisor, and
other laboratory staff, including high-level technical support
personnel, professionals and contacts external to the
- Provide customer support using good communication skills and
effectively interface with other members of a small
service-oriented group to fulfill the customer's needs.
- Perform other duties as assigned Additional job
responsibilities, at the 531.3 level
- Make regular recommendations to establish or modify guidelines,
techniques, and procedures to choose appropriate work methods and
when necessary, to set work priorities for work that may involve
- Solve complex technical problems and provide design support for
radio communications systems.
- Acquire and analyze complex data using computer databases.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security
clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Associate degree in Electronics, Engineering Technology, Radio
Frequency (RF) Technology or related field, or the equivalent
combination of education and relevant experience.
- Experience working at heights, such as with scissor-lifts,
man-lifts, on building roofs, and on communications towers to 300
- Experience with and detailed knowledge of Motorola P25 Digital
Trunked Radio Technology, ASTRO25 release 7.X versions,
infrastructure and subscribers.
- Experience in testing, fabrication and troubleshooting digital
and analog RF communications equipment and systems, antenna
networks and cables, communications control systems and wiring, and
performing standard EIA communications tests.
- Proficiency using TDR's, multimeters, power meters, spectrum
analyzers and other specialized diagnostic tools.
- Ability to work from verbal and written instructions, sketches,
drawings, prints, and electronic schematics.
- Ability to work scheduled, as well as unscheduled emergency
overtime, occasional travel and ongoing 24/7 on-call rotation.
- Effective written, verbal, and presentation communication
skills. Additional qualifications at the 531.3 level
- Advanced understanding and experience in complex design,
testing, fabrication and troubleshooting, and performing data
analysis for digital and analog RF communications equipment and
systems, antenna networks and cables, communications control
systems and wiring, and performing standard EIA communications
- Advanced knowledge and experience with Computer Networking
Technologies, T1, DS3, LAN's, fiber, BERT procedures, TCP/IP,
packet, UDP, etc.
- Experience working effectively with minimum supervision
including making independent, fundamental decisions to support a
variety of complex technical problems. Qualifications We Desire
- Current or prior certification in Tower Climber / Rescue and/or
operation of a man-lift, and scissor-lift.
- Motorola training on ASTRO25 Trunked Radio Systems, Key
Management, OTAR, GTR8000, MCC7500.
- F.C.C. General Radiotelephone License or equivalent. Additional
Information All your information will be kept confidential
according to EEO guidelines. Position Information This is a Career
Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be
considered for this position. Why Lawrence Livermore National
- Included in 2022 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team environment
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and
security clearances by visiting our Career site. COVID-19
Vaccination Mandate LLNL demonstrates its commitment to public
safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized
against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable
state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires
including those who will be working on site, as well as those who
will be teleworking. Security Clearance This position requires a
Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. If you are selected,
we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if
you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified
information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees
are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S.
citizenship. For additional information, please see DOE Order
472.2. Pre-Employment Drug Test External applicant(s) selected for
this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment
drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal
Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor. Pre-Placement Medical
Exam A job related pre-placement medical examination may be
required. Equal Employment Opportunity LLNL is an affirmative
action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a
diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws. If you need assistance
and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the
recruiting process, please submit a request via our online form.
California Privacy Notice The California Consumer Privacy Act
(CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The law
also entitles job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers
to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects and for
what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Need help finding the right job?
We can recommend jobs specifically for you!
Click here to get started.
Keywords: Oak Ridge Associated Universities, Livermore , Radio Communications Technologist, IT / Software / Systems , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!