Linux Systems Administrator - Clearance Required
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: February 23, 2021
Company Description Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!Are
you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the world
to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply
their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our
world a better place.We are looking for individuals that
demonstrate an understanding of working in partnership with team
peers, who engage, advocate, and contribute to building an
inclusive culture, and provide expertise to solve challenging
problems. Job Description We have an opening for a Linux Systems
Administrator to provide advanced technical computer support for
systems in a heterogeneous environment to solve a variety of
complex technical problems in a timely manner.This position is in
the Information Technology Operations Division (ITO) within the
Computing Directorate, matrixed to the Field Intelligence Element
(FIE).This position will be filled at either level based on
knowledge and related experience as assessed by the hiring team.
Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned
if hired at the higher level.In this roleyou will
- Manage the operations of the Linux storage environments.
- Perform Linux installations, configurations, upgrades and
ongoing maintenance activities on bare metal hardware and virtual
environments, installation of software releases, patches of the
operation system and utilities, third-party products, and open
- Perform installation of software releases, patches of operating
systems and utilities, third-party products, and open source
- Support data and process migration between internal systems, as
well as platform authentication and application deployment e.g.
Active Directory, Dell-Quest Authentication, and Docker).
- Manage Puppet infrastructure, distributing and enforcing
- Collaborate with management, customers, and team members to
evaluate and recommend procurements of Linux hardware and
- Implement, support, and maintain multi-platforms, including
Splunk, Nagios and other performance/monitoring technologies and
utilize tools to monitor and support systems.
- Perform other duties as assigned.Additional job
responsibilities, at the 393.2 level
- Diagnose, troubleshoot, and resolve complex system and network
- Serve as a technical leader, internal and external consultant
in area of expertise, providing highly advanced technical
assistance to the use community and collaborating with customers in
the design of their computing environment.
- Implement highly advanced designs, produced in collaboration
with data scientists and infrastructure architects. Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in a Computer, Information Technology, or
Engineering related field or equivalent combination of technical
training and experience.
- Broad and in-depth knowledge of and technical experience with
Linux operating systems and related hardware.
- Experience with complex troubleshooting.
- Advanced ability to set priorities and independently resolve
complex problems in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience patching operating systems and performing
installation of software releases.
- Advanced knowledge of and experience distributing and enforcing
standard configurations in Puppet infrastructure.
- Proficient interpersonal and communication (verbal and written)
skills, with the ability to work independently and interact with a
multi-disciplinary staff in a team environment.
- Experience and knowledge of the skills needed for a customer
support role to include a focus on listening, rapport-building,
friendly and approachable nature, courtesy and patience, and
negotiating and influencing skills in a diverse user community with
wide levels of computer literacy.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE)
Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another
U.S. government agency at time of hireAdditional qualifications at
the 393.2 level
- Highly advanced knowledge of and significant technical
experience with Linux operating systems, virtual environments,
and/or related hardware.
- Experience mentoring employees in technical areas.
- Significant experience as a technical lead on advanced
projects, achieving positive results, and driving projects to
closure, on time and on budget.Qualifications We Desire
- Broad and in-depth knowledge and technical expertise with
enterprise support tools for management, patching, backup or
software distribution, Linux operating systems and computer
security concepts and practices, and computer network
hardware/software protocols and principles.
- Experience with writing intermediate to advanced shell
- Experience with one or more of the following technologies:
SPLUNK, Tenable Security Scanner, Nessus, Puppet/Chef or
equivalent, Nagios, RHEL 6 and REHL 7, RHN Satellite, PKI
authentications, Active Directory, Scripting, GIT, BIND, DNS, Perl,
CSH/BASH, Docker and other container technologies Additional
Information Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
environmentLearn more about our company, selection process,
position types and security clearances by visiting our Careersite
.Security ClearanceLLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and
National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most
positions will require a DOE L or Q clearance (please reference
Security Clearance requirement). If you are selected, wewill
initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if youmeet
eligibility requirements for access to classified information or
matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to
random drug testing. An L or Q clearance requires U.S. citizenship.
If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you
may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE
L or Q clearance will be processed/granted. For additional
information please see DOE Order 472.2 .Equal Employment
OpportunityLLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity
employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin,
ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability,
medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age,
citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
laws.If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation
during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a
request via our online form .CaliforniaPrivacy NoticeThe California
Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California
residents. The law also entitlesjob applicants, employees, and
non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information
LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can
be accessed here . - provided by Dice
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Linux Systems Administrator - Clearance Required, IT / Software / Systems , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!