Shot Director for Laser and Experimental Systems
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: May 27, 2023
We have multiple openings for National Ignition Facility (NIF) Shot
Directors. You will join a team of Shot Directors who are
responsible for directing and coordinating the 24/7 operations of
the integrated laser and experimental systems of the National
Ignition Facility. You will be responsible for the successful
execution of complex target experiments in the NIF, as well as for
ensuring that all activities conducted by Operations and
experimental personnel, including operators, technicians,
scientists, and engineers, are performed safely in accordance with
NIF's Integrated Safety program. - These positions are in the Laser
Systems Engineering & Operations (LSEO) Division within the
Engineering Directorate.These positions will be filled at either
level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the
hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will
be assigned if hired at the higher level.In this role, you will
- Provide advanced technical coordination, leadership, and
supervision of the operations of large-scale, complex, integrated
systems critical to the successful execution of scientific
experiments on NIF.
- Provide technical mentorship, leadership, and supervision to
the Lead Operator and Control Room personnel during operation of
the laser and experimental systems.
- Collaborate with and provide technical leadership to a
multi-disciplinary team of experimental support personnel including
scientists, engineers, operators, and technicians.
- Contribute to experimental campaign planning and scheduling;
communicate facility and experimental plans to the Control Room
operators and staff.
- Contribute to leading computer controls design and production
organization to continuously improve the control system software;
this includes participation in design reviews and change review
board activities for proposed additions or changes to facility
hardware and software.
- Provide leadership that supports 24 hour per day, 7 day per
week operations, working various shifts as required; perform
responsibilities of the Facility Point of Contact and Emergency
Manager during off shifts.
- Lead the coordination of resources for facility maintenance,
installation, and construction activities.
- Perform other duties as assigned.Additional job
responsibilities, at the TSL.4 level
- Provide solutions to highly complex issues/problems where a
high degree of ambiguity exists around techniques and approaches.
Solutions require in-depth analysis of multiple tangible and
- Under consultative direction, evaluates Control Room
performance with quantifiable metrics and proposes improvements to
enhance efficiency and productivity. - Provide expert level
guidance to NIF operations.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security
clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Science or Engineering or related field,
or the equivalent combination of education and significant related
experience and ability to lead independent work.
- Advanced knowledge in science or engineering as it relates to
implementation of integrated, complex, and largescale systems.
- Significant experience in the management of operations for
large and complex technical systems operated by multidisciplinary
- Significant experience managing and executing an integrated
safety management system.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, including the ability to
manage personnel conflicts and maintain high morale in a demanding
and dynamic environment.
- Experience leading a team and/or group effectively in a
fast-paced, high pressure, complex, multidisciplinary team
environment, working across organizational boundaries.
- Leadership skills for leading and managing multidisciplinary
teams of 10 or more employees.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to
effectively collaborate and lead in a team environment, present and
explain technical information, and provide advice to management,
personnel, and stakeholders.Additional qualifications at the TSL.4
- Extensive experience and/or training leading the operation of a
large complex scientific facility.
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills
necessary to effectively present, explain, influence, and advise
senior management and/or external sponsors and vendors.
- Highly advanced knowledge of laser physics, large laser
systems, electro-optics, large optical systems, laser alignment and
diagnostics.Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree in Science, Engineering, Physics, or related
- In-depth knowledge of DOE, sponsors, Lab management and
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO
guidelines. -#PT#smartjobsPosition InformationThis is a Career
Indefinite position, open to Lab employees and external
candidates.Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Flexible -
- Relocation Assistance
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity and Accountability (IDEA) - visit
- Our core beliefs - visit - -
- Employee engagement - visit -Security ClearanceThis position
requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. - -If you
are selected, we -will initiate a Federal background investigation
to determine if you -meet eligibility requirements for access to
classified information or matter. Also, all L or Q cleared
employees are subject to random drug testing. - Q-level clearance
requires U.S. citizenship. -Pre-Employment Drug TestExternal
applicant(s) selected for this position must pass a post-offer,
pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of
marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal
Contractor.Beware of Fraudulent Job Postings. LLNL's hiring
- Never requires job applicants to pay an application/training
fee or submit personal documents like bank account details,
passport number, Social Security number, tax forms or credit card
information as part of the application process. -
- For interviews and to be granted access to a Federal facility,
a LLNL employee will contact you directly to collect visa, passport
number, and/or Social Security number. - To vet the authenticity of
the employee please have them provide you their name and phone
number and verify at people.llnl.gov.
- Involves at least one interview (virtual or in-person) and
never interviews job applicants through chat platforms such as
Google Hangouts, or via correspondence through text and instant
- Only sends email communications to job applicants from domain
"@llnl.gov" or via their applicant tracking system, . Occasionally
LLNL uses third-party vendors that will contact you about job
opportunities. - If a recruiter contacts you to apply, you will
always be directed to our career page to apply through our career
- Encourages all applicants to visit LLNL's careers page at if
they saw the job posting on another site prior to applying to
ensure the job posting is accurate and valid.Equal Employment
OpportunityWe are an equal opportunity employer that is committed
to providing all with a work environment free of discrimination and
harassment. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for
employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status,
national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender
identity, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, protected
veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic
protected by applicable laws.We invite you to review the Equal
Employment Opportunity posters which include and .Reasonable
AccommodationOur goal is to create an accessible and inclusive
experience for all candidates applying and interviewing at the
Laboratory. - If you need a reasonable accommodation during the
application or the recruiting process, please use our to submit a
request. -California -Privacy NoticeThe California Consumer Privacy
Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California residents. The
law also entitles -job applicants, employees, and non-employee
workers to be notified of what personal information LLNL collects
and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed
.PandoLogic. Keywords: Facilities Director, Location: Livermore, CA
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Shot Director for Laser and Experimental Systems, Executive , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...