Distribution Grid Engineer - Analysis and Controls Lead
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: June 23, 2022
We have an opening for an experienced Engineer. You will lead
system research on electronic power grid infrastructure analysis
with a focus on restoration and resilience and participate in
business development for the Cyber and Infrastructure Resilience
(CIR) program in the Global Security (GS) Principal Associate
Directorate. You will participate in collaborations with and travel
to DOE headquarters and institutions such as national labs,
utilities, and vendors in support of CIR's growing research
portfolio in electric grid infrastructure for the Department of
Energy (DOE)'s Grid Modernization Initiative. - This position is in
the Computational Engineering Division (CED) within the Engineering
Directorate.This position will be filled at either the SES.3 or
SES.4 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job
responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are
selected at the higher level.In this role -you will
- Lead and support complex research projects with competing
priorities and implement advanced research concepts in a
multidisciplinary team environment where dedication and deadlines
are important to project success.
- Partner with other LLNL scientists and engineers to bring
research results to practical use in LLNL Global Security
- Work closely with other CIR program area leads in developing
the CIR program research roadmap.
- Develop internal and external collaborations and provide input
for securing funding sources to meet program goals and
- Co-author refereed scientific papers and reports and deliver
presentations for audiences internal and external to LLNL.
- Perform other duties as assigned.Additional job
responsibilities -at the SES.4 -level
- Balance multiple projects/tasks and priorities of customers and
partners to ensure deadlines are met.
- Lead various highly complex projects, effectively leveraging
the skills of team members. - Serve as a mentor for other staff and
assist in recruiting efforts.
- Serve as a primary technical point of contact with sponsors and
partners and participate in development of new program
- Master's degree in Engineering or Computer Science, or
equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience in one or more of the following areas:
distribution automation and operations, distribution planning,
modeling and simulation, data analytics, microgrid design and
- Advanced record of technical achievements.
- Ability to use standard programming languages to support
modeling analysis and visualization of control theory for
distributed grid components.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills needed to
effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain
technical information, document work, prepare and present
successful proposals and high-quality research papers, and provide
advice to management.
- Ability to travel off-site, including potentially
internationally, for sponsor and customer interaction.Additional
qualifications at the SES.4 -level
- Highly advanced experience leading the application and
development in one or more of the following areas: distribution
automation, control theory and operations, distribution
optimization planning, modeling and simulation, microgrid design
- Subject matter expert knowledge and significant experience as a
project manager or principal investigator of projects with
differing priorities, loosely defined deliverables, and high
- Expert communication, facilitation, and collaboration skills
necessary to present, explain, and advise senior management and/or
external sponsors.Qualifications We Desire
- PhD in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, or
equivalent level of demonstrated knowledge.
- Significant experience working with utilities, Department of
Energy (DOE), and other relevant state government agencies.
- Expertise in network model and control theory development for
electrical distribution system and components.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO
guidelines.Position InformationThis is a Career Indefinite
position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered
for this position.Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 -Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
environmentLearn more about our company, selection process,
position types and security clearances by visiting our . -COVID-19
Vaccination MandateLLNL demonstrates its commitment to public
safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized
against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable
state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires
including those who will be working on site, as well as those who
will be teleworking.Security ClearanceThis position requires either
no security clearance, or a Department of Energy (DOE) L-level or
Q-level clearance depending on the -particular assignment. - -If
you are selected and a security clearance is required, we -will
-initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you
meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information
or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to
random drug testing. - L and Q-level clearances require U.S.
citizenship. - -If no security clearance is required, but your
assignment is longer than 179 days cumulatively within a calendar
year, you must go through the Personal Identity Verification
process. - This process includes completing an online background
investigation form and receiving approval of the background check.
- (This process does not apply to foreign nationals.)For additional
information, please see . -Pre-Employment Drug TestExternal
applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a
post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use
of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal
Contractor.Equal Employment OpportunityLLNL is an affirmative
action and equal opportunity employer that values and hires a
diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.If you need assistance
and/or a reasonable accommodation during the application or the
recruiting process, please submit a request via our . -California
-Privacy NoticeThe California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants
privacy rights to all California residents. The law also entitles
-job applicants, employees, and non-employee workers to be notified
of what personal information LLNL collects and for what purpose.
The Employee Privacy Notice can be accessed .PandoLogic. Keywords:
Writer and Author, Location: Livermore, CA - 94551 , PL:
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Distribution Grid Engineer - Analysis and Controls Lead, Engineering , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!