Senior Project Engineer
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: June 22, 2022
We have an opening for a Senior Project Engineer in the Nuclear
Threat Reduction Program (NTRP) supporting N Program of the Global
Security (GS) Directorate. You will be responsible for estimating
and managing project scope, schedule, and budget across multiple
projects as well as participating in experiment execution as needed
within the Nonproliferation Research and Development (NPRD)
programs. You will assist the Program Manager and Program Leads in
implementing efficient management and execution practices and in
developing organizational strategies to address the needs of our
customers. You will be involved in field experiments at the Nevada
National Security Site (NNSS), Site 300 campus near Tracy
California, and other remote locations. This position is in the
National Security Engineering Division (NSED) within the
Engineering Directorate.This position will be filled at either
-level based on knowledge and related experience as assessed by the
hiring team. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will
be assigned if hired at the higher level. -In this role -you will
- Provide advanced engineering and project leadership to team
members in the execution of work scope with a focus on defining,
developing, and executing complex experiments for NPRD customers
which involve hardware design, fabrication, testing, qualification,
- Apply advanced systems engineering and project management
principles to multiple complex technical projects at any given time
and in a graded manner to balance resources with identified
- Coordinate with Principal Investigators (PIs) in the
development of proposals, statements of work, project plans, and
project risk assessments and responses, and in the use of sound
project management practices in accordance with GS and Engineering
- Collaborate with teams of scientists, engineers, designers,
technicians, coordinators, and procurement personnel to achieve
- Travel frequently for project management of multi-laboratory
teams and remote experiment execution.
- Maintain and ensure quality standards for deliverables.
- Leverage team members' skills to successfully complete complex
projects, by ensuring excellence in execution of technical work in
- Utilize existing work, internal resources, and partnerships to
develop innovative capabilities to lead the development of project
- Work to improve processes and implement changes to increase
efficiencies within the organization.
- Perform other duties as assigned.Additional job
responsibilities, at the SES.4 level
- Lead project planning and execution as the Project
Manager/Engineer for field experiments at the LLNL Site 300 campus
and remote locations, including leading multi-disciplinary and
multi-laboratory teams in successful project execution.
- Report program status to N-Program management and external
sponsors as required.
- Ability to secure and maintain a U.S. DOE Q-level security
clearance which requires U.S. citizenship.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related area, or the
equivalent combination of education and previous relevant
- Advanced knowledge of the processes involved in hardware
design, fabrication, testing, qualification, and deployment.
- Significant experience in project management of complex,
technical projects (especially R&D) including organizing,
managing, and tracking scope, schedule, budget, and
- Significant experience developing and implementing creative
solutions to a diverse range of complex problems and leading
corrective actions where necessary.
- Ability to effectively develop, organize, and manage a
multi-disciplinary project team of engineers, scientists,
designers, technicians, and coordinators.
- Significant experience interacting and cooperating with all
levels of management.
- Ability to travel.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills necessary to
effectively collaborate in a team environment and present and
explain technical information and provide advice to
management.Additional qualifications at the SES.4 -level -
- Substantial experience leading, tracking, budgeting and
resolving resource conflicts for multi-laboratory projects.
Effectively accomplishing goals with team members who do not reside
within your home institution through demonstrated leadership and
- Substantial experience assessing project risk and developing
controls for managing project risk.
- Substantial experience in formal engineering design review
- Expert communication skills, both verbal and written,
facilitation, and collaboration skills necessary to interact
effectively in a diverse research team environment. Deliver
effective presentations and advise senior management and/or
external sponsors.Qualifications We Desire
- Master's in Engineering and/or certification as a Project
- Experience interfacing with external customers or industrial
partners, especially the Department of Energy (DOE).
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO
guidelines.Position InformationThis is a Career Indefinite
position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered
for this position.Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2022 -Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
environmentLearn more about our company, selection process,
position types and security clearances by visiting our . -COVID-19
Vaccination MandateLLNL demonstrates its commitment to public
safety by requiring that all new Laboratory employees be immunized
against COVID-19 unless granted an accommodation under applicable
state or federal law. This requirement will apply to all new hires
including those who will be working on site, as well as those who
will be teleworking.Security ClearanceThis position requires a
Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance. - -If you are
selected, we -will initiate a Federal background investigation to
determine if you -meet eligibility requirements for access to
classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared
employees are subject to random drug testing. - Q-level clearance
requires U.S. citizenship. - -For additional information, please
see . -Pre-Employment Drug TestExternal applicant(s) selected for
this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment
drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal
Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.Equal Employment
OpportunityLLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity
employer that values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified
applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard
to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin,
ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability,
medical condition, pregnancy, protected veteran status, age,
citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable
laws.If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation
during the application or the recruiting process, please submit a
request via our . -California -Privacy NoticeThe California
Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to all California
residents. The law also entitles -job applicants, employees, and
non-employee workers to be notified of what personal information
LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee Privacy Notice can
be accessed .PandoLogic. Keywords: Project Engineer, Location:
Livermore, CA - 94551 , PL: 535530521
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Senior Project Engineer, Engineering , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!