Engineering Design and Test Group Leader
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the
world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply
their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our
world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of
working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and
contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise
to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Engineering Design and Test Group Leader.
You will provide professional leadership for a large set of
technical activities and lead a group of technical personnel.
Working with DTED's Environmental Test Group, the Engineering
Design and Test Group designs, builds, prepares test units, and
manages large scale engineering tests in support of the W80-4 Life
Extension Program (LEP) and W87-1 Modification Program (MP). This
work is in support of Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Program
initiatives related to nuclear weapons. This position is in the
Defense Technologies Engineering Division (DTED), within the
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and
related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job
responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the
In this role you will
- Provide supervision, guidance and training to group members,
foster staff development, promote design engineering improvements,
participate in hiring activities and balancing of group skillsets
to support prioritized WTE and WCI programs.
- Responsible for overall execution of multiple W80-4 LEP and
W87-1 MP portfolios of test activities, ensuring that project
scopes, schedules, and costs are managed and tracked appropriately.
Coordinate with other groups (Environmental Test Group and others),
as necessary, to ensure proper execution of testing
- Direct and assign work to group members and remain cognizant of
the technical goals and objectives, Measuring and Test Equipment
(M&TE) quality requirements, workload balances, and timely
progress of group projects.
- Define, track, and complete group work objectives on time and
within budget in collaboration with other LEP & MP groups/personnel
and with other essential WTE support personnel. Monitor performance
required to meet programmatic milestones and deliverables. Engage
to correct deficiencies and lead corrective actions where
- Provide Engineering Design and Test group with leadership in
test methods, project development, execution and oversight, and
- Ensure warhead test results and risks are communicated in an
effective and timely manner to senior leadership. Represent WTE and
WCI at meetings, briefings, and committee activities both internal
and external to the Laboratory.
- Prepare and conduct performance management activities for
design group personnel and contribute to the DTED ranking and
salary management processes.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the SEL.5 Level
- Influence strategic technical decisions made by senior
management and external customers based on test expertise.
- Mentor staff across the organization, including other mentors.
Encourage and ensure documentation of test results, technologies,
innovations, and achievements.
- Serve as organization spokesperson by Laboratory management
and/or external advisor by sponsors and/or professional societies
representing the Laboratory in warhead test matters.
- This position requires an active Department of Energy (DOE)
Q-level clearance or active Top Secret clearance issued by another
U.S. government agency at the time of hire.
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field, or
equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience with engineering testing, sensors, and
test data analytic methods.
- Subject matter expert knowledge of nuclear warhead
- Significant experience with project management tools and
techniques, including work planning, scheduling, cost estimating,
analyzing and managing budgets.
- Expert communication, facilitation, negotiation and
collaboration skills, necessary to present, explain, mediate,
compromise and advise senior management and/or external
- Ability to promote and maintain productive relationships across
directorates and with personnel from external entities.
- Effective leadership, interpersonal skills, organizational, and
supervisory skills to lead personnel, write performance appraisals,
and actively participate in ranking and hiring activities.
- Significant experience working independently and responsively
to changing priorities and ability to meet deadlines and keep
management well informed.
In Addition at the SEL.5 Level
- Expertise in performing warhead testing, leading large
engineering efforts, and developing cutting edge technologies.
- Excellent communication, facilitation, negotiation and
collaboration skills, necessary to effectively present, explain,
mediate, compromise, influence, and advise senior management and
- Extensive experience and expert testing technical knowledge to
address advancements that may have impact beyond the
Qualifications We Desire
- Master's degree or PhD in Engineering or related field.
- Broad knowledge of Laboratory policies and practices and
applicable NNSA orders.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and
security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security
Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE
L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement).
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background
investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for
access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q
cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q
clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple
citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to
renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance
will be processed/granted. For additional information please see
DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that
hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive
consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the
application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via
our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to
all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Engineering Design and Test Group Leader, Engineering , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!