Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Summer Intern
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the
world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply
their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our
world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of
working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and
contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise
to solve challenging problems.
We have multiple openings for our Summer internship program taking
place from April 1, 2021 to August 31, 2021. Our openings are for
undergraduate students. Selected interns will be given the
opportunity to engage in practical research to further their
educational goals. The selected interns will provide technical
and/or research support to projects in the areas of aerodynamic and
aerothermodynamic simulation and analysis, ablation and gas-surface
interaction, guidance, navigation, and control (GNC), structural
and thermal analysis, boundary layer transition, or other related
In this role you will
- Working with scientists, engineers, and technical staff members
to provide technical and/or research support to projects in the
areas of aerospace engineering, particularly aerothermodynamic
analysis, structural and thermal dynamics, flight dynamics, or
other related fields.
- Analyzing the external flight environment of an aerospace
system through different phases of flight and velocity regimes
(subsonic through hypersonic).
- Performing computational fluid dynamics (CFD), finite element
analysis (FEA), or trajectory analysis; post-process the results;
document and present the results.
- Developing and maintaining computational model and/or code
documentation, verification and validation activities
- Presenting work through presentations and/or poster sessions as
- Performing other duties as assigned.
- Must be a continuing college or university student in good
standing at an accredited institution pursuing an undergraduate
degree in aerospace or mechanical engineering or a related
- Experience applying basic engineering principles to solve
- Programming experience, especially in Python, MATLAB, Java,
C++, and/or Fortran.
- Demonstrated effective communication skills.
- Ability to present and communicate concepts and ideas.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
Qualifications We Desire
- GPA of 3.0 or above.
- Experience running CFD simulation codes (US3D, Cart3D, FUN3D,
Fluent, Star-CCM+, etc.) on Linux HPC clusters.
- Experience running structural finite element codes (Ansys,
- Experience developing flight simulation models and/or control
algorithms for flight vehicles.
- Experience with boundary layer transition modeling and
- Experience with data science, machine learning, or reduced
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and
security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security
Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE
L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement).
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background
investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for
access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q
cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q
clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple
citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to
renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance
will be processed/granted. For additional information please see
DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that
values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the
application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via
our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to
all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Aerospace Engineering Undergrad Summer Intern, Engineering , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!