Electronics Engineering Technical Associate/Sr. Engineering Associate
Company: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Posted on: February 24, 2021
Join us and make YOUR mark on the World!
Are you interested in joining some of the brightest talent in the
world to strengthen the United States' security? Come join Lawrence
Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) where our employees apply
their expertise to create solutions for BIG ideas that make our
world a better place.
We are looking for individuals that demonstrate an understanding of
working in partnership with team peers, who engage, advocate, and
contribute to building an inclusive culture, and provide expertise
to solve challenging problems.
We have an opening for an Electronics Engineering Technical
Associate/Sr. Engineering Associate. You will provide electronic
technical support including the design and assembly of complex
systems and components based on specifications. The work involves
setup \ deployment of the LLNL Independent Diagnostic Scoring
System (LIDSS), which is a complex system used to capture and
record neutron, hydrophone, and optics data to aid in delivery
vehicle scoring and to help assess weapon performance as part of
the Stockpile Stewardship Program weapon certification for US ICBM
and Cruise Missile Programs. Much of the work is done at remote
locations such as the Kwajalein Atoll, located in the Republic of
Marshall Islands, as well as other locations including the Dugway
Proving Grounds (Utah), the Broad Ocean Area, and Holloman Air
Force Base (New Mexico). This position is in the Defense
Technologies Engineering Division (DTED) supporting the Weapons and
Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
This position will be filled at either level based on knowledge and
related experience as assessed by the hiring team. Additional job
responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if hired at the
In this role you will
- Provide advanced electronic support and hands-on operations
through the design and assembly of complex systems and components
based on specifications from engineers, physicists, or facility
- Develop original solutions to complex technical problems,
determining appropriate work methods, and establishing priorities
in order to meet programmatic requirements.
- Provide design, evaluation, review, fabrication, oversight,
testing, assembly, quality policy implementation, and documentation
of various projects.
- Troubleshoot and repair electrical components in all
conditions, including hot and humid environments.
- Initiate, prepare, and participate in design reviews, meetings,
and other briefings where concepts are determined and designs
- Collaborate with scientists, engineers, technical personnel,
facility engineers, facility safety personnel, and technicians both
inside and outside the work group on both an individual and team
basis in support of the program.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Additional Job Responsibilities, At The 339.2 Level
- Collaborate with engineers/scientists to provide highly
advanced support in solving highly complex technical problems for
various projects, independently leading personnel in assigning
tasks and prioritizing work.
- Make frequent decisions using a high degree of independent
discretion and judgement to define project approaches and create
and implement original solutions.
- Define, interpret, design, oversee fabrication and operation of
experimental prototypes and associated diagnostics utilizing a
comprehensive knowledge of electronic or electro-mechanical
equipment. Work with drafters to create electrical hardware
- Work on a small team and utilize attention to detail skills to
collaborate on design ideas and test and evaluation methods.
- Bachelor's degree in Electronics, Engineering Technology, or
equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Advanced knowledge in electronic engineering theory, design,
fabrication, and/or assembly, including good understanding of RF
communication equipment voice and data equipment connections for
feed lines and antennas.
- Experience conducting and/or participating in engineering
design reviews with experience participating in electronic systems
operations and design, analyzing results, writing reports, and/or
- Experience developing conceptual designs of electronic or
electro-mechanical system; designing, implementing, and/or testing
prototypes; and experience with the associated tools and
- Effective written and verbal documentation and communication
skills with proven ability to present concepts and ideas in a clear
and coherent manner for presentation and interaction with other
technical staff members.
- Possess strong electrical field work skills: ability to use
small tools, crimpers, soldering irons, perform wiring on small
assemblies and circuits, build wiring harnesses and terminate cable
ends. Link electrical modules together and measure voltages,
resistances, and current.
- Effective organizational skills and detail-orientation
necessary to oversee pre-mission testing, mission operation, and
mission data downloading.
- Ability to effectively work within a team as a key member; be
responsible, accountable, and dependable with a "can do"
Additional Qualifications At The 339.2 Level
- Extensive experience developing conceptual designs of
electronic or electro-mechanical systems; and designing,
implementing, and/or testing prototypes.
- Extensive experience collaborating with high-level
scientists/engineers and/or senior managers at the division and/or
department level or equivalent.
- Effective written and verbal communication, feedback, and
presentation skills in multiple technical areas.
- Strong understanding of digital and analog circuit design,
electronic design and fabrication, understanding of RF
communication equipment (both voice and data), and general
instrumentation and data acquisition.
Qualifications We Desire
- Knowledge and experience with computer systems, programming
languages (C, C++, Unity, LabVIEW), or HMI development tools
- Experience working with optical, radiographic, electronic
diagnostic equipment, and/or working with/around high-voltage or
- Experience working with classified materials, documentation,
and/or experimental data.
- Understanding of microprocessors and associated assembly
language; in particular the 8051 microprocessor. Ability to design
and employ microprocessors to control hardware, receive, and send
signals, and record and store data. Knowledge of GPS systems,
RealBasic, and high speed photography.
Why Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory?
- Included in 2020 Best Places to Work by Glassdoor!
- Work for a premier innovative national Laboratory
- Comprehensive Benefits Package
- Flexible schedules (*depending on project needs)
- Collaborative, creative, inclusive, and fun team
Learn more about our company, selection process, position types and
security clearances by visiting our Career site.
LLNL is a Department of Energy (DOE) and National Nuclear Security
Administration (NNSA) Laboratory. Most positions will require a DOE
L or Q clearance (please reference Security Clearance requirement).
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background
investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for
access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q
cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. An L or Q
clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple
citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to
renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance
will be processed/granted. For additional information please see
DOE Order 472.2.
Equal Employment Opportunity
LLNL is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer that
values and hires a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will
receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color,
religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual
orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition,
pregnancy, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other
characteristic protected by applicable laws.
If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation during the
application or the recruiting process, please submit a request via
our online form.
California Privacy Notice
The California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) grants privacy rights to
all California residents. The law also entitles job applicants,
employees, and non-employee workers to be notified of what personal
information LLNL collects and for what purpose. The Employee
Privacy Notice can be accessed here.
Keywords: Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore , Electronics Engineering Technical Associate/Sr. Engineering Associate, Engineering , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!