CAD Technologist (Early Career)
Company: Sandia National Laboratories
Posted on: January 9, 2022
This posting will be open for application submissions for a minimum
of seven (7) calendar days, including the 'posting date'. Sandia
reserves the right to extend the posting date at any time.What Your
Job Will Be Like
Are you passionate about working in a high functioning,
inter-disciplinary collaborative team in engineering? We are
seeking a highly motivated Computer Aided Design (CAD) Technologist
with a passion for product design and development!On any given day,
you may be called on to:
- Create and modify component and system definition by
implementing and integrating design solutions.
- Design three-dimensional models and detailed drawings of
complex objects and systems.
- Integrate defined requirements based on client needs or direct
- Utilize three-dimensional computer-aided design (CAD) software
to develop and propose mechanical designs and perform dimensional
calculations and analyses.
- Gather and analyze product performance.Qualifications We
- Associate degree in Mechanical Drafting or Mechanical
Engineering Technology; or equivalent combination of relevant
education and/or relevant experience may be considered.
- Experience using CAD software for 3D solid modeling and
mechanical drawing generation.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a DOE Q clearanceQualifications
- Experience using PTC-Creo software for mechanical design.
- Understanding of mechanical design principles to formulate
design concepts and meet product requirements.
- Understand principles of tolerance analysis and geometric
dimensioning and tolerancing (GD&T) based on experience,
training, or certification such as ASME GDTP technologist
- Understanding of configuration management principles.
- Understanding of manufacturing methods for mechanical
- Understanding of Design for Manufacturing principles.
- Demonstrated successful teamwork, excellent communication
skills (oral and written), and consistent demonstration of good
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Products.
- Knowledge and understanding of the NW engineering systems and
the NNSA product realization process.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a diverse
- Active Security Clearance.About Our Team
Sandia's "Design Engineering Group" consists of multiple mechanical
design departments that provide design engineering services using
Computer Aided Design (CAD) software such as PTC Creo and other 3D
modeling tools. We partner with engineering teams across the lab to
produce innovative design solutions based on high-quality CAD
models and drawings. We ensure fit, form, and function using
Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T), while ensuring
manufacturability and maintainability of designs. We determine the
physical characteristics of the product including: geometric form,
interface features, manufacturing specifications, processes, and
assembly instructions. We communicate design options and
recommended approaches to product development teams, stakeholders,
and manufacturing partners. We apply technical judgment based upon
engineering principles in the design and development of innovative
products in support of our Nation's security programs. We provide a
positive and inclusive work environment where staff can master new
skills, deliver optimal value, and achieve their career goals.About
Sandia National Laboratories is the nation's premier science and
engineering lab for national security and technology innovation,
with teams of specialists focused on cutting-edge work in a broad
array of areas. Some of the main reasons we love our jobs:
- Challenging work with amazing impact that contributes to
security, peace, and freedom worldwide
- Extraordinary co-workers
- Some of the best tools, equipment, and research facilities in
- Career advancement and enrichment opportunities
- Flexible work arrangements for many positions include 9/80
(work 80 hours every two weeks, with every other Friday off) and
4/10 (work 4 ten-hour days each week) compressed workweeks,
part-time work, and telecommuting (a mix of onsite work and working
- Generous vacations, strong medical and other benefits,
competitive 401k, learning opportunities, relocation assistance and
amenities aimed at creating a solid work/life
balance*World-changing technologies. Life-changing careers. Learn
more about Sandia at: http://www.sandia.gov
- These benefits vary by job classification.Security
Sandia is required by DOE to conduct a pre-employment drug test and
background review that includes checks of personal references,
credit, law enforcement records, and employment/education
verifications. Applicants for employment need to be able to obtain
and maintain a DOE Q-level security clearance, which requires U.S.
citizenship. If you hold more than one citizenship (i.e., of the
U.S. and another country), your ability to obtain a security
clearance may be impacted.Applicants offered employment with Sandia
are subject to a federal background investigation to meet the
requirements for access to classified information or matter if the
duties of the position require a DOE security clearance. Substance
abuse or illegal drug use, falsification of information, criminal
activity, serious misconduct or other indicators of
untrustworthiness can cause a clearance to be denied or terminated
by DOE, resulting in the inability to perform the duties assigned
and subsequent termination of employment.EEO
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment
without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation,
gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or veteran
status and any other protected class under state or federal
This Limited Term Employee (LTE) position is a temporary position
for one year term, which may be renewed at Sandia's discretion up
to a maximum of seven years.Individuals in LTE positions may bid on
regular Sandia positions as internal candidates, and in some cases
may be converted to regular career positions during their term if
warranted by ongoing operational needs, continuing availability of
funds, and satisfactory job performance.
Keywords: Sandia National Laboratories, Livermore , CAD Technologist (Early Career), Design, Graphic Design & CAD , Livermore, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!